A. Choose the correct answer.
1. ( ) Tanya ____ her son when he gave her the beautiful gift.
A. guided / B. arranged / C. hugged / D. counted
2. ( ) We saw clowns and people marching in the ____.
A. parade / B. project / C. ticket / D. trade
3. ( ) The teacher ____ Stewart to answer the question.
A. looked up / B. called on / C. made over / D. gave to
4. ( ) I have a ____ of my favorite actor on the wall of my bedroom.
A. poster / B. powder / C. pipe / D. pile
5. ( ) The people ____to the streets to celebrate the town festival.
A. pushed / B. arrived / C. held / D. took
6. ( ) The ____ promised the people he would lower taxes this year.
A. politician / B. interview / C. income / D. society
7. ( ) I finally found a ____ to this problem.
A. solve / B. solution / C. solvable / D. solving
8. ( ) The people of the town ____ the new law because it was unfair.
A. protested / B. rushed / C. struck / D. avoided
9. ( ) I am so ____ to my friends for helping me.
A. thanks / B. thanking / C. thankful / D. thankfulness
10. ( ) Please turn off the light. You are wasting ____!
A. scenery / B. victory / C. principle / D. electricity
11. ( ) My bicycle is my main form of ____.
A. population / B. production / C. transportation / D. tradition
12. ( ) Cindy ____ a new skirt and a jacket at the mall today.
A. purchased / B. shook / C. doubled / D. affected
13. ( ) I had to ____ my homework because my first copy was very messy.
A. undo / B. rewrite / C. lose / D. give
14. ( ) How many ____ does an elephant weigh?
A. tons / B. steps / C. values / D. roles
15. ( ) You should ____ the amount of sweets you eat every day.
A. trap / B. detect / C. pardon / D. reduce
Cloze : Choose the correct answer to fill in each blank.
Earth Day takes place every year on April 22nd. This celebration began in the United States in 1970. An American politician called on the country __(16)__ polluting the environment. People listened to him and took to the streets in a peaceful __(17)__. By 1990, Earth Day was celebrated by over 200 million people in 141 countries __(18)__ the world. April 22nd is a great day to examine your earth-friendly __(19)__. So go hug a tree and think about __(20)__ you can make every day Earth Day.
16. ( ) A. to protest / B. protesting / C. have protested / D. protest
17. ( ) A. confusion / B. inspection / C. demonstration / D. rejection
18. ( ) A. above / B. between / C. along / D. around
19. ( ) A. stations / B. legends / C. habits / D. boards
20. ( ) A. how / B. what / C. which / D. while
Passage Questions : Read the passage and answer the questions.
Earth Day has changed a lot since its beginning. On the first Earth Day, people simply went outside and listened to speeches. Now, there are parades and information fairs where you can learn about solutions to environmental problems. Students make Earth Day posters in schools. These posters encourage green practices like recycling and using public transportation. Some companies and clubs plant trees or pick up garbage in natural areas on Earth Day. Environmental organizations use Earth Day to let the public know what problems we are facing due to damage done to the Earth. Through education, people cannot only learn about the problems, but also what steps need to be taken to solve them.
21. ( ) What did people do on the first Earth Day?
A. Made posters about Earth Day / B. Held parties and festivals /
C. Heard people speak about the Earth / D. Voted for politicians
22. ( ) What does the article suggest for learning ways to help the Earth?
A. Watching TV / B. Taking a class about the environment /
C. Getting books from the library / D. Going to educational fairs
23. ( ) What is said about the posters made in schools on Earth Day?
A. They can win special prizes. / B. They try to get people to have earth-friendly habits. C. They are put in a worldwide contest. / D. They are put up in schools all year long.
24. ( ) What do some companies do on Earth Day?
A. They clean up places like parks./ B. They give money to environmental organizations. C. They use less electricity that day. / D. They give the employees a day off.
25. ( ) What is the passage about?
A. Which companies are more earth-friendly / B. How to plant a tree /
C. Why it's important to use less energy / D. Things people do to celebrate Earth Day
There are three "R"s that can protect the Earth. They are: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Reducing the amount of energy you use and the waste you produce is the first step. When you leave a room, be sure to turn off the TV and lights to reduce the amount of electricity you use. One way to reduce waste is to avoid getting take-out food. Dishes are washed and reused when you eat at a restaurant or at home. Take-out food creates waste as a lot of plastic and paper is used then thrown away. Next, try to reuse things that you buy. Instead of purchasing a new bottle of water every time you get thirsty, refill bottles with water from home. You can also reuse paper by cutting out unused areas of paper to leave notes. Just remember that it takes 24 trees to make a ton of paper. Lastly, make sure you recycle when you can, even if it takes more time to sort through the trash. Reducing, reusing, and recycling are simple ways you can help our planet.
26. ( ) What are the three "R"s?
A. Reuse, Reduce, Record / B. Reduce, Receive, Recycle /
C. Recycle, Reduce, Reuse / D. Revise, Recycle, Reuse
27. ( ) What is a way mentioned that you can "reduce" to help the Earth?
A. Eat smaller portions at mealtime / B. Buy products in smaller packages /
C. Turn off lights when you aren't using them / D. Don't buy things you can make yourself
28. ( ) Why should you not get take-out food?
A. It uses up too much waste. / B. Restaurants use a lot of electricity. /
C. Restaurants don't often recycle. / D. It uses too much energy to cook the food.
29. ( ) What is mentioned as something that can be reused?
A. Trees / B. Water bottles / C. Notes / D. Take-out food
30. ( ) How can you reuse paper?
A. Plant trees in your yard / B. Use a pencil when writing instead of a pen /
C. Buy smaller amounts of paper / D. Keep the parts of paper that haven't been used