9 Simple Reminders That Will Make You a Better Leader
by: Gordon Tredgold
1. As you don't do much of the actual work, focus on making life easier for your teams, rather than harder.
2. Your team of experts probably knows more about their job than you, so stop telling them how to do it.
3. It doesn't matter how long you stand behind people; it won't make them work any faster.
4. If you give a job to people who do not have the skills, the time, or the tools to do it properly, then it's your fault if they fail.
5. Mistakes happen--it's how people learn. If you punish everyone who makes a mistake, then people will stop trying.
6. Good work-life balance applies to employees as well as management.
7. It costs you nothing to say "good job, well done," and it might encourage people to do it again.
8. You're job doesn't end once the orders are given; that's actually when it starts.
9. If you don't do the lion's share of the work, you don't get the lion's share of the credit.